Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Chicken Noodles with GG

The week following my surgery, my family was amazing. Adam and Jackson took the weekend to go to El Campo for my nephew Camden's 2nd birthday. I stayed home to sleep and recover...and secretly get some work done on the computer when I was feeling well enough to sit for a few hours.

On Sunday, my grandmother came over to iron. Literally, just to iron. She knows that I do not like to iron (although I will say that she is very inspiring and that I now have a handle on the whole ironing out of the dryer thing! Thanks GG!) and I had a WHOLE basket FULL of clothes that needed to be pressed (along with a few in the closet that I typically hang, then fluff later if I need to...oh, and Wrinkle Release if nessesary!) With Gustav in the gulf, she was going to help me get all my laundry done so that that was one less thing to worry about. Well, she ironed nearly ALL DAY! I had so many clothes with wrinkles! Holy Hell, Batman! We watched TV and chatted...that was the day I got my drawers organized too with my new IKEA drawer separators. Adam's sock drawer, my sock and my underware drawer, and Jackson's sock and underware drawers....I also got Jackson's closet cleared out of old clothes and his dresser re-organized...I felt good to get organized again. I did have to take a few breaks in between when I started hurting, but otherwise it was a great day! I also got a bridal book completed in 15 minutes...a TOTAL record! It was the easiest one to create so far--flowed and was perfect the first go round! Yeah!

The next day, GG came back over to clean my floors. She did the hardwoods while I mopped the bathrooms and laundry room. Again, I was taking it easy, but I just couldn't lay in a bed all day with a hurricane on the way. Goodness. Great timing Gustav. Great timing. That afternoon, Jackson and GG made the infamous Smarsh family chicken noodles. MY GG (great grandma Dutch) used to make them all the time (it was her family recipe) and I remember sitting in her kitchen watching her cook. Now, Jackson's GG is teaching him the family recipe. I love it. She showed him how to roll out the noodles (home made!) and then cut them, then add the bullion cubes....







He helped almost the whole time, until I gave him the rolling pin and some play-doh....



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would have loved to been with Jackson and GG making noodles. I haven't made homemade ones in a very lllloooonnnggg time. Looks like a lot of fun!