Monday, March 26, 2007

Bribery

Okay, we have come to the sad realization that, even at the ripe young age of nearly 9 months, Jackson can be bribed. Yes, I said it, spoiled with bribery. And it's all Grandma Netty's fault. Yup, blame it on the Grandma. Here's what happened: I get home from the gym and everyone wants to go to lunch. So, even though it's close to nap time, we go anyway, as I sit in the car thinking "Oh Lord, I'm going to spend an hour playing "the pick up game" (which,by the way, I hate, and typically, DO NOT put up with, but for every one's sanity in the restaurant, I will oblige this one time)" or hoping that we brought enough toys for distraction. But as we get out of the car, my mom says to Jackson "Now remember what we talked about: if you are a good boy, we'll make a stop on the way home for that surprise, but if you're not good, we go to the car." I'm like "Good one mom. He doesn't understand how to sit still when you change his diaper (and that for about 20 seconds), how do you expect him to sit perfectly quiet for a toy."

Well, somehow it worked, because my child did not make a PEEP during our entire meal. No toys were thrown, no crackers were crushed, no drinks were attempted to be knocked over, no strangers were stared at, no loud screams were uttered, no fussing, no squirming.....he SAT STILL AND ATE CHEERIOS LIKE A GOOD BOY FOR AN HOUR! (I think people in Hell are cheering and wearing parkas while drinking ice cold Desani)

So on the way home, we stopped at Target where Mom and Jackson jumped out of the car and made a B-line for the Fisher Price aisle, all the while with Jackson giggling and smiling like he knew exactly where they were going...and my dad and I sitting back watching all of this with our jaws on the floor because there is no way a child of this age should have a clue what is going on, but he truly seems as though he does.

And this is what we bring home:




It's the Playskool Walk N Ride, and since Jackson can stand all by himself now, and walk between Adam and I, yet will not take that first step by himself, Grandma thought this would be good to get him "going" on his own! And so far, it works! He is ALL OVER THE PLACE with this thing. He pulls up on it by himself, and tools around the living room like a toddler. It's amazing...he is getting so big so fast!

1 comment:

MeMaw said...

I'm calling it "positive re-enforcement", not bribery. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!